We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, and giving you control over any information we hold about you. This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
WHO DO WE HOLD INFORMATION ABOUT?
This policy applies to information that we hold about:
- users of our site; or
- living individuals whose details are held on our database (such as owners of burial rights and funeral applicants); or
- living individuals whose details could be inferred from information held on our database (such as the surviving spouses of deceased individuals).
INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTERED USERS
Most of the information we collect about you is information that you provide to us using the site. This includes your registration details.
When you purchase Credits or a Subscription from us, you submit your card details directly to the website of SecPay, a secure on-line payment provider. No credit card or debit card details such as card numbers, validity dates, issue numbers or security codes are held or processed by our website or by us.
INFORMATION ON OUR DATABASE
Some information on our database may relate to living individuals. This includes:
- information from local authority cemetery and private cemetery registers giving details of burial rights;
- information about funeral applicants held in burial and cremation registers;
- gravestone images and searchable inscription transcripts, which may contain the names of living persons; and
- information that can be inferred from information held about deceased individuals, such as the existence and place of residence (at the time of the deceased's death) of a surviving spouse.
We process this information for the purpose of making that information available to registered users on our site, for the purposes of genealogical research. All this information is available in records held by local authorities and open to public inspection at cemetery offices. However, to help protect privacy, we do not make any of the above information available through our site until it is at least fifteen years old.
If you have any questions or concerns about information we may hold about you then please contact us. Please see also this question from our FAQ section.
We may retain copies or notes of any communications (including email and instant messaging) between us and you. We recommend you contact us using or the message facility on the "Contact Us" page, as these are more secure than email.
USE OF OUR SITE
We may collect details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data, and the resources that you access.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
The only cookie we use is used solely for keeping you logged in to our site if you tick the "Keep me logged in" tick box when logging in. This means that you will continue to be logged in to our site until you click "log out".
This cookie just stores a session number, and is not used to collect or transmit any information about you from your computer. If your browser is set to disallow cookies then the "Keep me logged in" facility will not be enabled, but no message will be displayed to warn you of this.
We are not required to obtain your explicit permission to store and use this cookie, as it is strictly necessary for the service requested by you. However, by ticking the "Keep me logged in" box you agree that we may store and use this cookie as set out above.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may engage third parties to process your information on our behalf, and those third parties may be located outside the EEA. We have agreements with those third parties under which they agree to ensure that all information is kept secure and processed only in accordance with our instructions.
In addition, information you submit to the site, or which is held about you within our database, may be accessible by people using our site outside the EEA.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
If you are a user of the website, we use information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide and manage our services to you and our other users through our site.
- To carry out our obligations and exercise our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- We may also use your information to create user profiles for targeting of any advertisements on the site. However, these profiles will not include any information identifying you or any other user of the site, and we will not give third-party advertisers access to any of your information.
- We will only disclose any other personal data we hold about you to third parties:
(a) If Deceased Online Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party,
in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
(b) If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal
obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to
protect the rights, property, or safety of Deceased Online Limited, our customers, or others.
CONTACTING YOU BY EMAIL
If you are a registered user then we may contact you by email.
You cannot unsubscribe from emails relating to the operation of our website or your account without cancelling your account.
We may also send you emails relating to changes to our website, the latest data to be added, and other information which we think you will find useful. You can decide on registration (and at any time afterwards) not to receive those emails, or to unsubscribe using the instructions in each of those emails. We will endeavour to process any request to unsubscribe to emails as soon as we can, but this can take up to 30 days.
OTHER COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Deceased Online Limited.
For further information from us on data protection and privacy, or to exercise any of your rights under this policy or under the Data Protection Act 1998, contact:
The Data Protection Manager, Deceased Online Limited, 20 Davigdor Road, Hove, BN3 1TT, UK.
Facsimile: (+44) (0)1273 733043
Information on the Data Protection Act 1998 is also on the Information Commissioner's website here.
Use of this Site is subject to our Terms and Conditions.
Deceased Online Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number 06278531.